Aquarium Forum http://forum.aqua-fish.net/ A forum devoted to aquarium fish, plants, techniques and fish keeping as a whole. en BIG BEGINNING<script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript'> <!-- --> </script> http://forum.aqua-fish.net/?topic=big-beginning#1 Hello, I am a excited big beginner. Within the next 2 weeks, I will be getting my first tank, a 10gallons rectangular fully equipped for a start. (my long term wish is: if I can successfully maintain this tank in an enjoyable manner I will definitely upgrade to a 30-35 gallons which is the max I can reasonably have in my small house). Anyway after few months of research I came up with a plan and being somewhat confused I do need a last advice and kind of approval / write off on it. I want a freshwater, natural look aquarium set up with peaceful community fishes about 2inch adults size. Now, my water is well water and very soft water: pH: 6.2 - 6.5 Hardness: 26mg/liter so it is I believe 1.5 dh (many fishes require at least 3 dh….) No chlorine, of course, undetectable copper, fluoride and sulfate (nothing surprising for the sulfates) Total solids is around 300mg/l, I have a little iron, manganese and zinc. I will still use water conditioner for at least for heavy metals and because I’ve been told it add to the slimy coat of the fish. Is there anything else I should check for? Potassium?, magnesium?..., I would like to do anubias on driftwood and Java furn on lava rock for the foreground/midground. Some ruffle sword, onion plant and/ or “the betta plant” for the background, fine gravel (no more than 3mm because maybe catfish) for substrate. I will do a fishless cycle but still have to find pure ammonia though. I really love the neons tetra, harlequin rasbora, corydoras catfish (the one who grow up to 3”), the orange von rio tetra, bleu pandas, mystery snail... AND/OR maybe a couple non schooling fish to start with… (open to suggestion) But truly, I don’t know if any of this fishes could withstand the condition of my water and I don’t know how or if I should mess with my hardness levels and if they will have enough good minerals in there to support their lives. I definitely need some help on the set up, I feel pretty overwhelmed trying to do the right thing that I am getting confused and think now to try only a Betta fish and a mystery snail to go into the aquarium. So please, If you have any idea for starter, I can still change my choices. Overall, I’d rather get the fishes I can have and thrive than watching the fishes I want being miserable or even dying. Thank for your help deglad69 2012-07-06